Fire Evacuation Planning

Fire Evacuation Plans

Fire evacuation plans are required in some commercial, industrial and public buildings to facilitate a coordinated and structured approach to people evacuating buildings in case of fire. In most circumstances the fire evacuation plan will be incorporated into a broader emergency plan for the premise.

When Is a Fire Evacuation Plan Required

If you occupy a specified building as identified within the General Fire Regulations, you will be required to prepare a fire evacuation plan to be assessed by the Chief Officer for approval.

How Are Fire Evacuation Plans Developed and Approved

If you occupy a specified building, you must develop and have an approved fire evacuation plan. TFS have developed Fire Evacuation Plan Guidelines that provide you with advice and guidance how to develop a fire evacuation plan and how you may have that plan approved.

You can also obtain additional information on developing fire evacuation plans from the Australian Standards AS 3745 – Planning for emergencies in facilities and if you are developing a fire evacuation plan for a healthcare facility you should refer to AS 4083 – Planning for emergencies – healthcare facilities.

What is a Specified Building

The General Fire Regulations clearly outline what a specified building is. A specified building requires an approved fire evacuation plan. Below is an extract from the General Fire Regulations that outline types of specified buildings. For more detailed information, please refer to regulation 5 that will provide addition information.

Meaning of Specified Building

For the purposes of these regulations, a specified building is any of the following:

(a) a building that is capable of accommodating more than 200 persons, as estimated or determined in accordance with Table D1.13 of the NCC;

(b) a building that, under an occupancy permit issued under the Building Act 2016, more than 200 persons are entitled to use at any one time;

(c) a building that is used to provide residential accommodation as part of an educational institution;

(d) a building that is used to provide residential accommodation for persons requiring medical, psychiatric or geriatric care;

(e) a building that is used to provide supported accommodation for persons with physical, developmental or psychiatric disabilities;

(f) a building that is used as or for a hostel, boarding house, guesthouse, lodging house or backpacker accommodation, being a building capable of accommodating 6 or more guests;

(g) a residential part of a hotel or motel, being a part capable of accommodating 6 or more guests;

(h) a child care centre within the meaning of the Child Care Act 2001 ;

(i)  an education and care service premises for any education and care service other than a family day care service;

(j)  a detention centre;

(k) a healthcare building;

(l)  a residential aged care facility;

(m) a school;

(n) special fire hazard premises within the meaning of the Building Regulations;

(o) a building that is fitted with a fire protection system monitored by the Fire Service;

(p) a building in respect of which a declaration under sub regulation is in effect.

Where Can I Get More Information

TFS can provide advice and practical assistance with the development of fire evacuation plans.  To assist with the preparation, TFS have developed templates and generic emergency action guides.

Fire Evacuation Plan Guidelines

Guide 1

Guide 2

There are also a number of private consultants available that have the skills and knowledge to prepare fire evacuation plans on your behalf.